Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival
The Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival was created to bring together three Northwest Arkansas cross-country races under a single event. The Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival is now one of the premier running events in America.
Each year over 80 college teams and 120 high school teams battle for prestige and unique Chile Pepper themed awards. Additionally, 750 individuals participate in the Open 10k and 5K Fun Run plus the New Tom Lewis 1 Mile Pepper Dash on Friday Night. The event is held at University of Arkansas' incredible off road course and all runners are invited to enjoy a Hot Mexican food feast following the race.
In 2015, the Chile Pepper celebrated its 27th year and hosted approximately 5,300 runners and over 5,000 spectators the weekend of October 3rd, 2015. The support of sponsors, runners, and athletes has contributed more than $400,000 to Northwest Arkansas cross-country programs. $45,000 was donated to area programs in 2014.
Festival Dates: Friday, September 30th and Saturday, October 1st
NO PETS on grounds! NO DRONES! We are guests of the University of Arkansas Experimental Farm and these are strict rules.
Pre-Registration/Packet Pickup Friday, September 30th
- College and High School Teams may preview the course on Friday after 3:00 p.m.
- Pre-Registration and Packet Pickup is at Race Village at the Course Friday from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
- Cars and Buses are not allowed entry from Garland Avenue on Friday.
- Parking for this occasion is a grass lot on Quality Lane which intersects Gregg Street.
- Runners are strongly encouraged to utilize online registration to save money and time.
- Chile Pepper T-shirts and other event merchandise will be available for purchase.
- Tom Lewis 1 Mile Friday Night Pepper Dash 6:30 p.m.
RAIN SITE Packet Pickup: Gymnastic Joe's, NWA MALL
4201 North Shiloh Drive Fayetteville, AR 72703. A notice will be posted on website header and facebook pagefacebook.com/chilepepperfest early Friday morning if necessary.
Saturday Directions and Parking:
GPS and Google Map users: Use Washington County Fairgrounds, North McConnell Avenue, Fayetteville, AR. OR you may use AGRI Park on Garland Avenue. Don't call for a street address because it's in the middle of a field! There is not one!
Traveling on Hwy. I-540, take exit 66 to Hwy. 112 (which is also Garland Ave.). Travel south on Hwy. 112. You will see Chile Pepper parking signs. General Parking is located at Washington County Fairgrounds which are all located off Hwy. 112. Transit Buses will shuttle participants from the parking lots to the drop-off point near the course from 5:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Some walking is required. Note: Please allow extra time to get to the race site.
Handicap Parking Traveling on Hwy. I-540, take exit 66 to Hwy. 112 (which is also Garland Ave.). Travel south on Hwy. 112. You will see Chile Pepper parking signs. Turn into the Agri Park and proceed up to gate entrance for Transit buses. A Deputy will check your credentials, (fill out the Handicap Parking form online). Parking is located on the course near the race village, attendants will direct vehicles.
Chips will be issued on Friday and Saturday only. Each runner will be required to wear an electronic chip which will be tied to his or her shoelace with supplied bread ties. At the conclusion of each race, the chips will be collected. Each participant is responsible for returning the chip to the timekeeper. Please turn in the chips you don't use or you or the school may be charged.
Race Day Packet Pick-up and Registration:
Packets may be picked up Saturday, October 1st, at the Festival race site at the Registration Tent beginning at 6:00 a.m. Race day registration will open at 6:00 a.m. and continue until 15 minutes prior to the start of each race.
Race Start Times:
· Residence Inn Springdale Residence Inn Springdale Special Rate
Make arrangements as soon as possible. For additional help with accommodations, please contact the Fayetteville Convention and Visitors Bureau at 800-766-4626 for available hotels in the Northwest Arkansas area.
- 10K Open Entry Fee: $25 before September 18, then $30 until September 29th. Race day registration increases to $40.
- 5K Fun Run Entry Fee: $25 before September 18, then $30 until September 29th . Race day registration increases to $40.
- VIP entry is $70, before September 18, then $80 until September 29th or based upon availability. Benefits include a secure place for gear, preferential parking, etc. For details and updates, check the VIP Page.
- Tom Lewis 1 Mile Friday Night Pepper Dash $10
- Each registered runner will be treated to a post-race feast provided by Jose's Southwest Grill, and Ben E. Keith for Saturday only.
- Non-registered adults and kids may eat at the post-race lunch for $5.
- Free massages provided by Blue Cliff College - 479-521-2550
- Sponsor Tents with samples, sales and surprises!
The Chile Pepper Cross Country Festival is held on the University of Arkansas cross country course in Fayetteville. The course is a combination of grass, cinder and uneven terrain.
Race Proceeds Distributed to Northwest Arkansas High School Cross Country Programs:
Race proceeds are given to the Fayetteville, Springdale, Har-Ber, Rogers, Rogers Heritage, Siloam Springs and Bentonville, Elkins, Farmington, Gentry, Greenland, Haas Hall, Prairie Grove, and West Fork high school cross country teams. Our mission is to get kids running and over $447,000 has been given to date. $47,000 was distributed in 2015!